On to the trails, and off you go! This is the motto of many mountain-bikers who have looked forward to spring temperatures and dry trails all winter. The time has come by the middle-end of March: the bike season starts in Val Venosta and in Merano & environs. Some questions about mountain-biking in South Tyrol in spring are answered here.
(c) TV Naturns
Why can the start of the bike season be determined so exactly?
Winter leaves Val Venosta, Merano & environs and in Bolzano & environs at the start of March, so the trails can be prepared for the bike season. As soon as the conditions allow it, the trails are freed from branches, stones and fallen trees.
Are tours above 1,600 m of altitude already possible?
In part. It depends strongly on the rain and snowfall as well as temperatures in February. It is however sure, that the tours on the sunny side are doable earlier and also at higher altitudes then the north facing tours.
Are the hotels already open that early in the year?
Yes, especially in Val Venosta and in Merano & environs some BikeHotels are already open from the middle of March to cater for road cyclists and mountain-bikers. Here you can see the opening dates of the various hotels:
Are there special offers for the start of the season?
Gasthof Terzer, Cortaccia: 01.02.
- Activ Resort Bamboo, Coldrano: 01.03.
- Design Hotel Tyrol, Rablà: 15.03.
- Dolce Vita Hotel Jagdhof, Laces: 20.03.
- Vitalpina Hotel Waldhof, Rablà: 21.03.
- Hotel Ansitz Schulerhof, Plaus: 21.03.
- Dolce Vita Hotel Feldhof, Naturno: 26.03.
- Aktiv- und Wellnesshotel Zentral, Prato allo Stelvio: 28.03.
- Sporthotel Vetzan, Silandro: 28.03.
- Hotel Finkenhof, Scena: 28.03.
- Der Mesnerwirt, Avelengo: 29.03.
- Hotel Gantkofel, Andriano30.03.
- Arosea Life Balance Hotel: all year
What about this one? On to the trails, and off you go
! at a special rate of 150 € exclusive of accommodation and board?